Wednesday, December 5, 2007

The Final Countdown

Here come exams.

Today was my last day in the classroom (I observed Honors Geometry and Algebra 1 CP). Eh, it was okay. Nothing special at all happened until after school when I was scheduled to tutor a young man named Matthew in geometry.

That was an interesting experience. I've tutored before, but not like this. Usually it's just been a friend or two who I've helped, but never an actual high school student. A little different than just walking around the class and helping them with their homework.

We started off with simple problems about how to solve single-variable equations and then moved on to parallel and perpendicular lines (he was having a lot of trouble with his algebra). I can't really say too much about the experience, to be honest. There were a few times where I really had to break it down for him, and when my knowledge almost got in the way of helping him. I never really struggled in mathematics, and so it was difficult for me to see why he couldn't understand that parallel lines had the same slope. I guess that just comes with the territory. My mentor teacher and I actually discussed that -- we didn't struggle, but the majority of kids you meet will. Not everyone is built to do well in math, and just because you find something incredibly easy doesn't mean one of your students will.

But the session as a whole went well. He seemed pleased about the help, and he definitely showed a lot of progress in the 45 minutes we were together.

Time for Christmas.

No comments: