Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Elbow Grease

Date: 9.26/2007
Class Observed: Mrs. Wimpey's AP Calculus
Topic: Limit definition of the derivative

I took the young lady whom I had problems teaching last week the notes that I said I'd make up for her. She seemed very appreciative, and actually kept them (to the best of my knowledge... I don't recall seeing her tossing them in the wastebasket when she left).

I can't write. It's a little bit of a problem. Well, I can write -- but not very long. My elbow's being a pain, and so today I did more observing than note-taking. I noticed that Mrs. Wimpey has a very good relationship with her AP class, and then I thought about the relationship she had with her MTIV class. They weren't that much different. She would allow side-conversations if it involved her, and she would joke with them a little bit, but she would never pal around or let the topic drift too far from math before bringing it right back again. I thought this was great because for the past 3 years I've heard of teachers treating different level classes in a different manner. Classes of "lower intelligence levels" typically have a tighter leash on them, while classes of "higher intelligence levels" tend to have a little more reign.. but that's not the case with Mrs. Wimpey. She treats her brightest AP calc student the same way she treats her least-able Math Tech IV student, and to be honest, I think that's how it should be. As far as ability level goes, she knows what they can and cannot do, but she doesn't talk down to one and praise the other -- she treats both as if they're students who do not know a lick of what they're being taught. In this way she's thorough and fair... a great combination if you ask me.

No comments: